Wednesday, June 22, 2011

IELTS Exam

I will have my IELTS exam next month. Though I come from a country where English is the lingua franca and where I use English as my day to day business communication tongue, I still have to have an IELTS result to officially prove that I can communicate in English fluently. Such requirement is needed when you plan to immigrate or live permanently in an English speaking country such as Canada, Australia, New Zealand or USA.

I am confident that I can pass this test easily. However, I still have to prepare properly and hopefully achieve above average results.

The test is divided into four categories: Reading, Speaking, Listening and Writing. Of the four tests, I feel I am weakest on the Writing category. It is not easy to organize your thoughts, write fluidly using the best words and using grammar that artfully conveys the subject/thought you are writing about. Yes, it is easy to write a few sentences or even a few paragraphs. But it is not easy to coherently write a complete article without messing up some words or sentences or ideas. What I mean is you usually repeat words redundantly. Or you keep on writing on a loop until you reach the end of your article. Normally, you edit and edit until you reach the desired results but in IELTS exam you don't have the luxury to edit many times.

So here I am blogging as much as I can to practice and practice and practice until I will be as confident as my reading, speaking and listening skills.

By the way, this article has 4 paragraphs, 15 sentences and about 250 words.

No comments: